Playhouse

playhouse       playhouse2

Playhouse Colchester is part of the Wetherspoon pub chain. However, it is very different from other Wetherspoon pubs. The building has undertaken many different changes; it was first an actual playhouse in 1929. In the 1930’s it transformed into a cinema, and then in 1981 it became a bingo hall. From there it remained an empty building until it was made into a pub in 1994. Because of these changes, they have kept the playhouse décor with the pub on the ground floor which is overlooked by the seating area covered with mannequins, puppets and cardboard cut-outs of famous people and other celebrities. There is even a private box for the royal family. Continue reading